Pain can make you Cranky! Try Pain Medicine!
Severe pain can definitely interfere with the quality of your life. It leaves you emotionally and physically drained. Pain medicine is a branch of medicine that deals with the evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation of a person in pain. The doctor usually looks into the patient’s medical history including reports on laboratory tests, imaging, and electrodiagnostic studies before identifying the cause of the pain. A Pain specialist offers quality care to a patient suffering from acute or chronic pain. Treatment for chronic pain takes time to show results and involves more than just a quick fix.
Acute Pain vs Chronic Pain
Pain medication varies depending on acute and chronic pain. So it becomes all the more important to understand the difference between acute and chronic pain.
- Acute pain usually comes all of a sudden and has a specific reason behind it
- The pain is usually sharp and does not last more than six months
- Acute pain is commonly associated with broken bones, burns, cuts, and surgery
- Pain that lasts longer than six months comes under chronic pain
- Chronic pain continues even after the injury heals
- In some cases, the pain signals can remain active in the nervous system for weeks, months, and even years\
- Chronic pain is usually linked to headaches, arthritis, cancer, and back pain
- Chronic pain can sometimes limit the mobility of patients and results in lower energy levels and loss of appetite
A Quick Look at Pain Medicine Service at Dhyan Health Care
Pain Medicine is one of the recent services started at Dhyan Health Care with an aim to bring relief to patients suffering from severe pain. Earlier, if a patient suffered from back pain the medicine administered focused on the entire body rather than the specific area. This process has changed with the introduction of pain medicines.
- The treatment with pain medicines is target specific
- Before administering the medication, the pain is classified if it is acute or chronic
- Pain medicines could be taken orally or are injected directly with the help of a c-arm machine
- Pain medicines are an option when it comes to back pain, knee joint pain, migraines, trigeminal nerve pain
- It is also an option for cancer patients when no other treatments seem effective
- If a patient suffers from back pain, the doctor looks into the origin of pain- if it comes from the nerve, joint, or the bones.
- The severity of the pain is graded between I to V
- For cancer treatment, pain medicines are given as injections to the nerves. In the case of stomach cancer, the injection is given to the ganglion
- Dr. Sivakumar has received training for pain medicine from Daradia Pain Institute, Kolkata and is a Certified Rheumatologist from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, USA
- More than 5000 patients suffering from osteoarthritis of the knee joint found relief from their condition
- More than 3000 patients with back pain got relief from pain after their treatment at Dhyan Health Care
- Dhyan Health Care is the only centre to offer pain medicines in the district
Finding the root cause of the disease helps in effective treatment, which thereby helps in restoring the quality of life. At Dhyan Health Care, Dr. Sivakumar and his team of dedicated doctors will help you find relief from your pain.
Authored By Dr.V.Sivakumar (M.B.B.S., M.D., FIPM)