Electroencephalogram- Efficient way to Record Brain Activity
A single defect in brain activity can turn you into a different individual. The brain looks over the creativity, emotions, memories, and intelligence of a human being. It helps you to think, reason, move, produce and comprehend speech sounds. So a life without these functions is practically unimaginable.
An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test to detect the electrical activity inside the brain. By attaching small, metal discs to the brain, the EEG recordings are taken. The brain cells remain active even when we are asleep and the electrical impulses between the cells show up as wavy lines on an EEG recording. These recordings are vital when it comes to diagnosing epilepsy or any abnormal activity in the brain.
When does an Electroencephalogram come in Handy?
An EEG test helps to detect even the smallest changes in brain activity. This, in turn, helps in effectively diagnosing brain disorders. An electroencephalogram is primarily used in detecting and diagnosing the following disorders:
- It is effective in detecting brain epilepsy and other seizure disorders
- Efficient diagnosis of stroke
- Effective in diagnosing sleep disorders
- Helps to detect any form of inflammation in the brain
- To detect the possibility of brain damage from a head injury
- Gives successful diagnosis of brain tumors
- Detect any case of brain dysfunctions
- The test also helps to confirm brain death in coma patients
- Helps to administer the right amount of anesthesia for a patient in a medically induced coma
What to Expect during an Electroencephalogram Test?
- Your scalp is measured and marked before an EEG recording
- Electrodes are attached to the scalp using a special adhesive
- The electrodes are connected to an instrument that amplifies the brain waves and records them
- The minimum amount of time taken for an EEG test is sixty minutes
- The patient can rest in a comfortable position during the EEG test
- The movement of the body is recorded along with the brain waves
Electroencephalogram at Dhyan Health Care
- The use electroencephalogram at Dhyan Health Care helps the doctors get an exact picture of the patient’s brain wavelength
- It helps the doctors to determine the part of the brain affected which helps in the further treatment of the patient
- The test is mainly used in the treatment of epilepsy
- Patients having unspecified headaches, head injuries also have an EEG test
- The test also helps in determining the intensity of the brain damage
- Helps to detect the brain activity of patients in a coma
At Dhyan Health Care, Dr. Sivakumar and his team will help you find an efficient diagnosis of your brain injury. With effective treatment and care, you can find excellent results in no time.
Electrocardiogram- An Effective Way to Monitor the Heart
Our heart is one powerful organ. It pumps blood and nutrients throughout the body without a break. A carefully synchronized circulatory system ensures that every part of the body receives its fair share of blood and nutrient supply. When this carefully coordinated process hits a bump, the results can be varying.
An electrocardiogram is a record of the electrical signals of the heart. This comes in handy to detect heart problems and also monitor the heart’s condition during an emergency. Also called ECG or EKG, an electrocardiogram is usually taken in a doctor’s office or a hospital room.
When to consider getting an Electrocardiogram?
The electrocardiogram is a painless test which yields quick results. This helps in further treatment of the patient. Below are the common situations for opting an electrocardiogram:
- Have defect in the structure of the heart chambers
- Have suffered a heart attack
- To check the working of the pacemaker
- Has irregularities in the heart rhythm
- Have blocked arteries that cause chest pain and leads to a heart attack
- Suffers from excessive weakness and fatigue
- Has shortness of breath
What to Expect?
- The patient is made to lie down in a bed
- Electrodes are attached to the arms and the chest
- Small suction cups are used to attach the electrodes
- The sensors detect the electrical activity of the heart
- The results are recorded in a graph paper
- The whole process is expected to be over within 5 to 10 minutes
Tips for a Healthy Heart
- Keep your weight in check
- Avoid compromising on exercises
- Increase your intake of foods containing fiber
- Avoid using too much salt in the food
- Keep your alcohol consumption in check
- Have a diet rich in fruits and vegetables
- Avoid smoking
Having a healthy heart is paramount. Regular checkup with the physician helps to stay free from the risk of a heart disease. At Dhyan Health Care, Dr. Sivakumar and his team help you understand your heart’s health condition which in turn helps in further treatment. By understanding the root cause of the disease you can avail the best treatment for your condition. At Dhyan Health Care, every patient is given specialized treatment and the doctors make sure that their patients have a pleasant experience while at the clinic.